In this article, we will check out details related to the course- B.Sc. Nautical Science. It is a field related to Maritime studies and offers exciting, adventure filled as well as financially well rewarding career. This will be a concise article where I will mention basic course details, eligibility criteria, career prospects and things to do after getting B.Sc. Degree in Nautical Science.
Article Overview and Contents
- What is B Sc in Nautical Science all about?
- Educational Qualifications required
- Age limit
- Medical standards-
- B.Sc. Nautical Science Colleges in India-
- 1 AMET University, Tamil Nadu
- 2 BP Marine Academy, Panvel
- 3 BP Marine Academy, Navi Mumbai
- 4 Coimbatore Marine College, Tamil Nadu
- 5 GKM Institute of Marine Sciences and Technology, Tamil Nadu
- 6 HIMT College, Kalpakkam, TN
- 7 Haldia Institute of Maritime Studies and Research, West Bengal
- 8 IMU, Navi Mumbai
- 9 IMU, Cochin
- 10 IMU, Chennai
- 11 International Maritime Academy, Tamil Nadu
- 12 Jeyanthinather Academy of Marine Studies, Tamil Nadu
- 13 Maharashtra Academy of Naval Education and Training, Pune, Maharashtra
- 14 Seacom Marine College, Howrah
- 15 Southern Academy of Maritime Studies, Tamil Nadu
- 16 TS Rahaman, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- 17 The Neotia University, West Bengal
- 18 Tolani Maritime Institute, Maharashtra
- 19 UV Patel College of Engineering, Gujarat
- 20 VELS Academy of Maritime Education and Training, Tamil Nadu
- What to do after completion of course? Career prospects and salary details-
- Important notice
What is B Sc in Nautical Science all about?
It is a 3 years long full time residential program (Bachelor of Science course). This Bachelor’s Degree course consists of both theoretical as well as practical sessions. Much importance is given to the practical sessions.
B.Sc. in Nautical Science covers all important topics related to maritime studies. Along with theoretical studies, as I mentioned above, importance is given to practical aspects too. In the end, after the completion of the course, cadets may go on and become Navigation Officer on Merchant Navy ships. But before one may take on the post of Navigating Officer in Merchant Navy ships, one has to go through the mandatory 12 months long sea service!
Now that we are familiar with the basic course details, let us go check out the educational qualifications required to pursue this course.
Educational Qualifications required
Candidate should be 12th pass under 10+2 system of schooling (Science stream), with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as the main subjects. A minimum marks criteria is also present. The minimum marks required are- 50% marks in each of the P,C and M subjects.
The candidate should have scored at least 50% marks in English subject too. Now, let us take a look at the age limits-
The age of the candidate should be between 17—25 years, at the time when the course starts.
Along with educational qualification, medical standards are also given much importance. It is due to the fact that after completion of the course, a cadet may have to work under testing conditions in a ship. Let us take a look at important medical requirements that candidates have to satisfy-
Eyesight requirement is 6/6. The candidate should not suffer from night blindness and color blindness. The candidate should also be physically fit to take on seafaring roles!
Come, let us check out the list of best B.Sc. Nautical Science colleges in India now. Here it is –
B.Sc. Nautical Science Colleges in India-
1 AMET University, Tamil Nadu
- Address: 135, East coast road, Kanathur, Chennai 603112, Tamil Nadu
- Contact number: 18001083030, 4427444625, 4427444627
- Website: ametuniv.ac.in
2 BP Marine Academy, Panvel
- Address: BP Marine Academy, Old Panvel Road, Near Court, Raigad 410206, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 02227450271
- Website: bpmarineacademy.in
- Address: BP Marine Academy, Sai Pooja Chambers, Sector 11, CBD Belapur, Navi Mumbai 400614, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 02227574082/27565179/27562179
- Website: bpmarineacademy.in
4 Coimbatore Marine College, Tamil Nadu
- Address: 296, Pollachi Main Road, Myleripalayam, Othakkalmanpadam, Coimbatore 641032, Tamil Nadu
- Contact number: 18001205533, 04222364999
- Website: cmcmarine.in
5 GKM Institute of Marine Sciences and Technology, Tamil Nadu
- Address: Alapakkam-Mappedu Road, GKM Nagar, Perungalathur, Chennai 600063, Tamil Nadu
- Contact number: 4422794073/22794023
- Website: gkmims.net.in
6 HIMT College, Kalpakkam, TN
- Address: HIMT College, 55, East coast road, 72-B, Arambakkam, Vengambakkam Junction, Kalpakkam, Tamil Nadu 603102
- Contact number: 8939872536, 8056283383
- Website: himtcollege.com
7 Haldia Institute of Maritime Studies and Research, West Bengal
- Address: ICARE Complex, Marine Campus, Hatiberia, Haldia, Purba Medinipur, West Bengal 721657
- Contact number: 03224255275/267502
- Website: himsar.net
- Address: IMU – Navi Mumbai Campus, TS Chanakya, Karave, Nerul, Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra 400706.
- Contact number: 02227703876/27701935.
- Website: imunavimumbai.com
9 IMU, Cochin
- Address: IMU Kochi Main Campus, South End Reclamation Area, Near Alexander Parambithara Bridge, Matsyapuri, Willingdon Island, Kochi 682029, Kerala.
- Contact number: 04842989402/2118542.
- website: imu.ac.in.
10 IMU, Chennai
- Address: IMU – Chennai Campus, East Coast Road, Uthandi, Chennai 600119, Tamil Nadu.
- Contact number: 04424530343/345.
- Website: imu.ac.in.
11 International Maritime Academy, Tamil Nadu
- Address: International Maritime Academy, 41, Jamin Korattur, Pudhuchatram, Tamil Nadu
- Contact number: 9176637100, 9176687200
- Website: imamaritime.com
12 Jeyanthinather Academy of Marine Studies, Tamil Nadu
- Address: JAMS, Marine Campus, Arasoor Poochikadu, Near Thisaiyanvillai, Tuticorin, Tamil Nadu
- Contact number: 04639253888
- Website: jamsmarine.edu.in
- Address: MANET, Gate no 140, Rajbaug, Pune Solapur Highway, Loni-Kalbhor, Pune
- Contact number: 02030693845
- Website: manetpune.edu.in
14 Seacom Marine College, Howrah
- Address: Seacom Marine College, Jaladhulagori, Andul-Mouri, Sankrail, Howrah 711302, West Bengal
- Contact number: 9331050497, 9830498330
- Website: seacommarinecollege.org
15 Southern Academy of Maritime Studies, Tamil Nadu
- Address: 108, East Madha Church Street, Royapuram, Chennai 600013, Tamil Nadu
- Contact number: 4442269050
- Website: samsmarine.org
16 TS Rahaman, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Address: Jahaz Mahal Annexe, 170 K, Samander Point Estate, Opposite Lotus, Worli, Mumbai 400018, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 02224933324/24938740
- Website: tsrahaman.org
17 The Neotia University, West Bengal
- Address: Jhinger Pole, Diamond Harbour Road, Sarisha, West Bengal
- Contact number: 9163610909
- Website: tnu.in
18 Tolani Maritime Institute, Maharashtra
- Address: Tolani Maritime Institute, Talegaon-Chakan Road, Induri, Talegaon, Pune 410507, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 66960001/02/04/05/15/16/17
- Website: tmi.tolani.edu
19 UV Patel College of Engineering, Gujarat
- Address: Ganpat University, UVPCE, Ganpat Vidyanagar, Mehsana-Gozaria Highway, Mehsana 384012
- Contact number: 02762286805/226001
- Website: uvpce.ac.in
20 VELS Academy of Maritime Education and Training, Tamil Nadu
- Address: Off Rajiv Gandhi Salai, Near Navalur, Thalambur, Chennai 600130, Tamil Nadu
- Contact number: 9361852531, 9840365082
- Website: velsmaritime.com
What to do after completion of course? Career prospects and salary details-
B.Sc. in Nautical Science is a 3 years long course that has been divided into 6 semesters, each lasting 6 months. After completion of the course, the candidate should undergo the 1 year long sea service. After the sea service and clearing the subsequent oral examination, the candidate could obtain the second mate’s Foreign-going Certificate of Competency. This certificate will enable one to hold the post of Navigation Officer on Merchant Navy ships.
You may also check –
Even after landing such a post, one could climb up the career ladder. After 18 months of sea service as a Navigation Officer, and clearing the written and oral examinations, one could obtain the first mate’s Foreign-going certificate of competency.
After 12 months of Sea Service as the Chief Mate and upon clearing the written as well as oral examinations, one could obtain the Master’s Foreign-going certificate of competency! You may also check – IMU CET exam.
If you are genuinely interested in B.Sc. Nautical Science course, make sure that you pursue it from a reputed, Government recognized Institute. Usually, Maritime studies Institutes are approved and certified by Director General of Shipping, Ministry of Shipping.